Federal Farm Credit Banks Funding Corporation
The client delivers thousands of reports and documents per month to member banks, the investment community, federal regulators and the general public. It wished to upgrade its existing web site to accommodate the following aims and objectives:
- Prevent access to reports by unauthorized users.
- Integrate existing legacy systems, which currently generate reports and data.
- Update reports on the site immediately, as they're published.
- Present prepared reports in any format (MS Word, PDF, MS Excel, plain text, etc.).
- Keep users apprised of report updates as they are uploaded.
- Maintain archive of outdated reports.
- Provide multiple search paradigms to transform the site into a research tool.
- Build a community of users.
- After analyzing existing reports, we devised a taxonomy for classification and storage.
- Existing legacy systems were evaluated for integration points.
- We designed a custom Asset Management System to hold and control report meta-data.
- Together with the client, we identified groups of users requiring controlled site access.
- We designed a web-based system in Java/J2EE using WebLogic and an Oracle database to provide a scalable, reliable environment consistent with the client's existing infrastructure.
- A multi-level authentication scheme was implemented, restricting users to their own areas, content, and data.
- We created a web interface to a custom Asset Management System featuring web-based uploading of reports, and a mass upload tool for bulk report uploads.
- Users are now allowed to subscribe to categories of reports and receive email notification when those reports are updated.
- Older reports are now auto-archived into a searchable archive on their predetermined archive date.
- The site now provides full text searching capability of static reports (PDF, MSWord, text, etc.), their meta-data (descriptions), and site pages, as well as fielded searching of key data. It also provides easy-to-use hierarchical navigation, visual calendar navigation, and drill down paradigms to ease access to a large volume of data.
- Reports are dynamically generated from online database views as web pages.
- We built community tools for breaking news, threaded discussion groups, and an events calendar.
Back to case studies